Greening Development Planning
How can you make the economic case for better management of environment and natural resources in poverty reduction strategies and other national planning documents?
This important question is addressed in the new OECD working paper “Greening development planning - A Review of Country Case Studies for Making the Economic Case for Improved Management of Environment and Natural Resources”.
Approaches from five countries are reviewed (Lao People's Democratic Republic, Mozambique, Peru, Tajikistan and Uganda). By involving policy makers in the process of making the country reports, and focusing on environmental and natural resources issues in function of their links with prioritised objectives like economic growth, poverty reduction and public health, the chances to influence policy making have been enhanced. Drawing from the review of these country case studies as well as literature on public policy, this report provides recommendations for governments wishing to undertake an economic analysis of the environment and natural resources management for planning purposes, and for OECD members interested in supporting the process.
This report is one in a series prepared for the Task Team on Governance and Capacity Development for Natural Resources and Environmental Management under the OECD Environment Policy and Development Assistance Committees. The project aims to update OECD guidelines for capacity development for environment and provide guidance on selected topics. The report has been produced by a team from the Swedish International Development cooperation Agency, the
Swedish Environmental Protection Agency and the University of Gothenburg.
Download the report (612 KB, PDF)
Lao PDR Case Study
- Lao Biodiversity Economic Assessment (PDF)
- Lao PDR - Biodiversity and Poverty Reduction (PDF)
- LMPA Lao PDR - Protected Area Development Linkages (PDF)
Mozambique Case Study
- An Economic Analysis of Natural Resources Sustainability in Mozambique (pdf)
- Mozambique Country Economic Memorandum Background paper on mining (PDF)
- An Economic Evaluation of Forestry Regulation in Mozambique (PDF)
- An Economic Analysis of Natural Resources Sustainability in Mozambique Fisheries (PDF)
- An Economic Analysis of Natural Resources in Mozambique: Rural Land Issues and Policies (PDF)
- Economic Analysis of Natural Resources in Mozambique: Water Resources (PDF)
- Mozambique - Country economic memorandum : sustaining growth and reducing poverty (World Bank site)
Peru Case Study
Tajikistan Case Study
Uganda Case Study